New Zealand Rail Adventure
17 October 2021 - 13 days
from $5,990* pp twin | $7,490* solo ON REQUEST
Ready to get moving again?
Join us as we explore New Zealand by rail on a tour to remember!
New Zealand’s North and South Islands offer various superb train journeys, many of which are included on this rail adventure. Traverse the central North Island onboard the Northern Explorer and journey on the world-renowned TranzAlpine from Christchurch, through the majestic Southern Alps to Greymouth on the West Coast. We have also incorporated numerous stops at small private railways, perfect for all levels of train enthusiast.
Experience the great natural wonders of Aotearoa on this journey from north to south, enjoying spectacular coastal, rainforest and alpine scenery. Take a steamship cruise on Lake Wakatipu in Queenstown, cruise magnificent Milford Sound and tour Larnach Castle set high on the hills above Otago Harbour.
Enjoy the perfectly varied combination of train, coach and cruise travel while immersed in the wonder of the breathtaking ‘land of the long white cloud’!
Departs 17 October 2021 - 13 days
- Meet & Greet at Auckland Airport with group transfer to Auckland hotel
- 1 night Auckland accommodation at the Heritage Hotel (or similar) with dinner and breakfast
- Rail journey on the Kiwi Rail ‘Northern Explorer’ from Auckland to Wellington
- 2 nights Wellington accommodation at the James Cook Grand Chancellor Hotel (or similar) with dinner
- Daylight rail journey on the Wairarapa line to the Fell Locomotive Museum
- Travel through the 8.8km long Rimutaka Tunnel
- Visit the Silver Stream Railway
- Interislander ferry crossing from Wellington to Picton
- Rail journey on the narrow-gauge Riverside Railway from Brayshaw to Omaka
- Visit the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre
- 1 night Blenheim accommodation at the Chateau Hotel Marlborough (or similar) with breakfast
- Rail journey on the Weka Pass Railway
- 2 nights Christchurch accommodation at Rydges Latimer Hotel (or similar) with breakfast daily
- Half-day Christchurch sightseeing tour
- Rail journey on the ‘TranzAlpine’ from Christchurch to Arthurs Pass
- Visit Shantytown and ride on its historic steam train
- 1 night Fox Glacier accommodation at the Distinction Hotel (or similar) with breakfast
- Travel through Haast Pass and Kawarau Gorge to Arrowtown
- 2 nights Queenstown accommodation at the Copthorne Hotel & Resort Lakefront (or similar) with breakfast daily
- Cruise on Lake Wakatipu aboard the historic TSS Earnslaw
- Dinner at Walter Peak High Country Farm
- Cruise on Milford Sound
- 1 night Te Anau accommodation at the Distinction Luxmore Hotel (or similar) with breakfast
- Guided tour of Larnach Castle housing a unique collection of New Zealand antiques and furniture
- 1 night Dunedin accommodation at The Victoria Hotel (or similar) with breakfast
- Visit Oamaru and Whitestone City heritage area
- Rail journey on the Pleasant Point Railway
- Farewell dinner on the Christchurch Tramway Restaurant
- 1 night Christchurch accommodation at Rydges Latimer Hotel (or similar) with breakfast
- Private touring by modern air-conditioned coach
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- All tour admissions as per itinerary
- Services of a locally based Tour Manager
NOTE: Flights to and from New Zealand are not included but can be arranged for you by our Travel Specialists
from: $5,990* pp twin
from: $7,490* solo ON REQUEST
New Zealand Rail Adventure
Book online or call 1300 766 537
*A deposit of $500 pp is required at the time of reservation. Final payment is due no later than 60 days prior to travel. Prices are for tour only, airfares to/from New Zealand are not included. Airfare terms & conditions will be advised by your Travel Specialist. HEALTH: Passengers should be in good health and able to walk moderate distances to fully participate and experience the sightseeing opportunities of the tour. All passengers are required to acknowledge that they are of reasonable health and are considered to be fit to travel, and are not travelling contrary to any medical advice. Cruise Express and its suppliers reserve the right to remove a passenger from a tour if their health or fitness interferes with any other passenger’s experiences or the day to day running of the tour. In this instance, our normal cancellation terms and conditions will apply. Deposit non-refundable except in the event of a COVID-19 related incident directly impacting the tour's ability to operate. After the final payment date, if the trip is cancelled by Cruise Express or its suppliers due to a COVID-19 incident such as international border closures or other restrictions directly related to the pandemic, a future travel credit will be issued. Cruise Express reserves the right to correct any errors or omissions and to cancel any product or service offered in the event of such error or omission. Travel Insurance is strongly recommended when making your first booking payment. Our Travel Specialists will be happy to provide a written travel insurance quote at your request.