The River City Limited
Exclusive Rail & Sail
Our latest 6-night tour is another unique adventure from Sydney to Brisbane and back in March, 2018. Hosted by Cruise Express, we’ll begin with a night in Sydney before boarding the heritage 621/721 Rail Motor for a leisurely 2-day trip north to Brisbane. Unlike modern trains, the rail motor has windows you can open to let in the views and fresh air – perfect for daydreaming as the every-changing scenery roll by. We stop for morning tea in the Hunter Valley at the Rail Motor Society’s base in Paterson, with lunch at Taree. During our overnight hotel stay in the jacaranda city of Grafton, we’ll join for dinner by the Clarence River. Next day our historic train continues north across the border into Queensland where we’ll arrive in Brisbane in the afternoon.
Your day in Brisbane is free for you to explore as you wish. This evening you will take a short stroll to board the Kookaburra Queen. You will cruise the Brisbane River to take in the city lights while enjoying dinner. After another night in Brisbane, our journey moves to sea with a relaxed, 2-night cruise back to Sydney aboard the 2000-passenger, floating resort, Sea Princess. There’ll be time to laze in a poolside deckchair, gaze at the passing coastline and live it up with fine cuisine and Broadway-style stage shows. After Sun Princess sails into Sydney Harbour on day seven, you’ll return home refreshed and recharged.
Departs 8 March 2018 - 6 nights
- Daylight service from Sydney Central Station to Brisbane Roma Street Station aboard the heritage 621/721 Rail Motor including morning and afternoon teas, lunch and light refreshments. Previous night stay in Sydney included.
- 1 night Grafton accommodation at the Quality Inn (or similar) with breakfast
- Dinner at a local restaurant in Grafton
- 2 nights Brisbane accommodation at the Royal on the Park Hotel (or similar) including breakfast daily
- Evening dinner cruise aboard the Kookaburra Queen with drinks
- 2 night voyage on Sun Princess including all meals, entertainment and gratuities
- Welcome aboard get together
- Group transfers in Grafton and Brisbane
- Services of professional Cruise Express Tour Managers
Staterooms & Suites:
- from: $1,890* per person twin share
- from: $2,590* per person sole occupancy
- from: $2,190* per person twin share
- from: $2,890* per person sole occupancy
- from: $2,290* per person twin share
- from: $3,090* per person sole occupancy
- from: $2,390* per person twin share
- from: $3,590* per person sole occupancy
Stateroom images are representative of staterooms in that category and type. Some rooms in the same category may have different furniture configurations and/or facilities.
621 / 721
New South Wales Government Railways embarked on a program of passenger fleet modernisation placing an order for five 2 car sets in 1960 to displace steam hauled suburban services in Newcastle. After trials, class leader set 621/721 was delivered to Newcastle on 21 August 1961. 621/721 operated in its intended role serving the people of the Hunter region for over 45 years only straying away for brief periods of maintenance in Sydney. During its career it performed thousands of runs to destinations including Telarah, Dungog, Scone, Cessnock, Gosford, Taree and Sandgate Cemetery.
621 was rostered to perform the last regular 620/720 service to Dungog mismatched with car 725 in June 2007 whilst a special RailCorp run to Paterson officially farewelling the sets with invited guests on October 29 of the same year saw it reunited with trailer 721. After a period of storage at Broadmeadow 621/721 was nominated as RailCorp core collection heritage units and allocated to The Rail Motor Society under a custodial agreement. 621/721 now enjoys the next chapter of its service career in preservation at Paterson running heritage tours in the local area and further afield.