Southern Rail Spectacular
Featuring Beyer-Garratt steam locomotive 6029
Southern Rail Spectacular – a new and possibly first-ever 5-day adventure – offering the opportunity to ride behind one of Australia’s most famous locomotives, the legendary Beyer-Garratt 6029. This 265-ton monster, the largest locomotive ever to operate in Australia, is just part of this heritage rail tour from Sydney to Victoria and back.
Join your heritage train in Sydney, hauled by vintage locomotives. Sit back and relax as your train speeds towards your first stop in Goulburn where the Garratt will join the train. This rare experience is sure to be the envy of many. At Junee, the Garratt will leave the train and your diesels will speed you to Albury and your overnight stop.
The next morning, you’ll be part of history as Seymour Railway Heritage Centre hauls Spirit of Progress cars on standard gauge for the very first time. This will also be the first time this train has been on standard gauge since it left government service in the 1980s. You’ll travel behind Victorian diesel P22 to Seymour for an inspection of the rail yard before continuing the trip to Melbourne. A night at the nearby Vibe Savoy Hotel will refresh you for a full weekend of fun on the rails.
On Saturday, the 103-year-old A²986 will haul you aboard Victorian Railways E & W type excursion cars all the way to Castlemaine where you will change for the Victorian Goldfields Railway. You’ll then steam on this unique branch line on a return journey to Maldon before the A²986 will whisk you back to Melbourne.
On Sunday, R707 will steam from Melbourne to Newport where you will enjoy a private inspection of the Newport Rail Yards, home to Steamrail Victoria, DERMPAV and 707 Operations. Get up close to an incredible collection of steam and diesel locomotives, together with heritage rolling stock. R707 will then steam back to Melbourne where you will rejoin the Spirit of Progress and travel to Albury.
Finally, after a night’s rest, you’ll head back to Junee to pick up the awaiting Garratt for Goulburn, then diesels will speed you home to Sydney. This unique, exclusive and unprecedented heritage rail adventure will book out quickly so reserve your place in history today.
Please contact us on 1300 766 537 to be added to the WAIT LIST today.
List of rail services
Sydney to Goulburn – diesel
Goulburn to Junee – steam
Junee to Albury – diesel
Albury to Seymour – diesel
Seymour to Melbourne – diesel
Melbourne to Castlemaine – steam
Castlemaine to Maldon – steam
Maldon to Castlemaine – steam
Castlemaine to Melbourne – steam
Melbourne / Newport / Melbourne – steam
Melbourne to Albury – diesel
Albury to Junee – diesel
Junee to Goulburn – steam
Goulburn to Sydney – diesel
30 August 2018 - 5 days - from Sydney
- Return diesel hauled heritage rail journey from Sydney to Albury
- Steam hauled between Goulburn and Junee (return) by Beyer-Garratt locomotive 6029
- 2 nights Albury accommodation at the Atura Albury with breakfast
- Inaugural standard gauge diesel hauled heritage rail journey from Albury to Seymour by Seymour Railway Heritage Centre aboard the Spirit of Progress hauled by locomotive P22
- Private inspection at Seymour Railway Heritage Centre
- Seymour to Melbourne Southern Cross Station aboard the Spirit of Progress on broad gauge
- 2 nights Melbourne accommodation at the Vibe Savoy Hotel with breakfast daily
- Return rail journey from Melbourne Southern Cross Station to Castlemaine hauled by steam locomotive A² 986
- Return steam hauled rail journey on the Victorian Goldfields Railway from Castlemaine to Maldon by steam locomotives J549 or K153 or K190
- Steam hauled rail journey from Melbourne Southern Cross Station to Newport Rail Yard and return hauled by steam locomotive R707
- Private inspection at Newport Rail Yard with access to Steamrail Victoria, 707 Operations and DERMPAV Victoria
- Standard gauge diesel hauled heritage rail journey from Melbourne to Albury by Seymour Railway Heritage Centre aboard the Spirit of Progress hauled by locomotive P22
- Private coach transfers in Albury from station to hotel and vice versa
- Professional Cruise Express Tour Managers
from: $2,190* pp twin share – Sorry – SOLD OUT
from: $2,790* solo – Sorry – SOLD OUT
You will be seated in a mixture of non air-conditioned carriages throughout your journey. Cars will either be open seating or compartment style. Aboard the Spirit of Progress you will be seated in air-conditioned cars with up to 8 passengers per compartment.
add: $100* pp twin share – Waitlist
add: $100* solo – Waitlist
This option upgrades you to First Class cars on the following services:
‘12AE‘ 1st class E type car – Melbourne to Castlemaine and return
‘Tambo‘ Parlor end platform car – Castlemaine to Maldon and return
(Tambo shown in photo – cars subject to change)
Carriage images are representative only and may vary according of car type used.
Pre tour night in Sydney
Mercure Sydney Central
We will have an early start from Sydney so why not make things easy by staying next door at the Mercure? We are holding a small amount of rooms so just let your Travel Specialist know and we will book you in!
Room only: $260 twin or single
Call 1300 766 537 or complete the form below to enquire
Southern Rail Spectacular - August 2018
A non-refundable deposit of $500 per person is due at the time of reservation. While every endeavour will be made to run this tour as advertised with the locomotives listed in the itinerary, all locomotives are subject to change at any time. In the event that any locomotive becomes unavailable, there will be no refunds. All fares are for the rail experience as a whole, not the individual locomotives. Should a locomotive be unavailable it will be replaced by suitable heritage steam or diesel traction. All timings are approximate and for guidance only. Requests received for particular seating will be taken but there is no guarantee these can be accommodated. All trains will be equipped with licensed buffet cars where food and beverages will be available for sale. No meals are included other than those specifically listed in the itinerary. Trains are regrettably not built to accommodate those passengers restricted to the use of wheelchairs or walkers. Please see full terms and conditions at the link below.