12 October 2018 - 11 nights
Cape York and Arnhem Land – a journey through ancient culture and underwater worlds, this expedition voyage takes you to some of Australia’s most remote communities on Australia’s North Coast. Commencing in Darwin and heading to some of Northern Australia’s most incredible galleries, including Maningrida, where traditional artists create pieces that help to preserve their unique and ancient culture.
As you travel East, the journey takes in the rich culture of the Tiwi Islands, and the endemic wildlife of the Cobourg Peninsula, before continuing to Elcho Island. You will sail through the “Hole in the Wall” and cruise across the Gulf of Carpentaria. As you journey continues to Far North Queensland, explore remote Thursday and Forbes Islands, as well as Davie Reef and the Flinders Group of Islands, before continuing to Lizard Island and Cairns.
- A maximum of 72 guests
- Stand on Australia’s northern most tip at Cape York
- Visit remote Bathurst and Melville Islands and learn about traditional Tiwi culture
- Discover the Arnhem Land Coast, once the trading ground of the Macassan people from Sulawesi
- Enjoy a gourmet Aussie Beach BBQ as the sun sets over the Arafura Sea
- Take in the Cobourg Peninsular during a full day of exploration
- Visit Thursday Island and learn about the cultures of Torres Strait Islanders
- View indigenous art on Elcho Island
- Explore Lizard Island and the northern reaches of the Great Barrier Reef
The Expedition Experience
With a strong focus on visiting places rarely touched by tourists, the shore excursions are designed to promote local interaction and cultural exchange. One of the great benefits of travelling on a small ship is the ability to make impromptu stops. The small size of the ship ensures that shore excursions are comfortable and enjoyable, but also have minimal impact on communities and environments that you will visit. Most activities are suitable for all fitness levels; when a higher than normal fitness level is required for an excursion, your expedition leader will advise you accordingly. You can expect one or two shore or in-sea activities each day, all included in your cruise fare.
Expedition leaders and guest lecturers who are experts in the region will accompany you on the voyage. They provide specialist commentary on the culture, geology, conservation and history of the area and introducing you to its unique plants and wildlife.
- 11-night Expedition Voyage.
- Expert Expedition Team, including specialty Guest Lecturers, to offer expert guiding and interpretative assistance.
- Daily guided excursions on the Explorer and Zodiac tender vessels, and kayaks where conditions allow.
- Small batch local dining, prepared fresh in the galley: 10 buffet breakfasts, 10 buffet lunches and 10 a la carte dinners.
- Wines and selected beer, as well as soft drinks, with lunch and dinner service.
- Captain’s welcome and farewell events.
- Open Bridge access.
- 24-hour specialty coffee and selection of teas.
- Use of all onboard facilities, including reference library.
- Comprehensive and fully guided sightseeing in each port.
- All entrance fees to National Parks and ports.
from $10,695* pp twin
15 sqm – Porthole Windows – twin or junior King Beds.
Located close to the Dining Room, the six spacious Main Deck (Category B) Staterooms feature twin portholes for expansive ocean views, along with a desk, sofa, telephone and your choice of Junior King or Twin Bedding.
from $10,995* pp twin
- 18 sq m – porthole windows – twin or junior king beds
Located close to the Dining Room, the six spacious Main Deck (Category A) staterooms feature large, twin porthole windows for expansive ocean views, along with a desk, sofa, telephone and your choice of Junior King or twin bedding.
from $11,595* pp twin
- 15 sq m – picture windows – junior king beds
Located in the bow of the ship and encircled by a full-ship promenade, the two Promenade Deck (Category B) staterooms feature picture windows for expansive ocean views, along with a desk, telephone and Junior King bedding.
from $11,995* pp twin
- 18 sq m – picture windows – twin or junior king beds
Encircled by a full-ship promenade, our 19 spacious Promenade Deck (Category A) staterooms feature picture windows for expansive ocean views, along with a sofa, desk, telephone and your choice of Junior King or twin bedding.
from $12,995* pp twin
- 20 sq m – private balcony – twin or junior king beds
Located on the exclusive Bridge Deck close to the Lounge and Bridge, the six spacious Bridge Deck staterooms feature picture windows for expansive ocean views, along with a sofa, desk, telephone and your choice of Junior King or twin bedding, along with private balconies opening out from french windows providing comfortable indoor outdoor living.
sophisticated small ship expeditions
The 1800-tonne Coral Discoverer is the grand vision of Coral Expeditions, pioneers in expedition and adventure cruises around Australia, Papua New Guinea and South East Asia. Her shallow draught and manoeuvrability allow her to go where larger vessels cannot. Her tender vessel, Xplorer, can seat all 72 passengers for excursions to beaches and rivers. Coral Discoverer is equipped with latest technology active stabilisers to ensure comfortable cruising in open waters and is fitted with modern safety and navigation equipment and wireless internet facilities.
Coral Discoverer was built to the exacting international SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) standards and specifications in Cairns, Australia, with one aim in mind; to create the ultimate small ship cruising experience. Australian flagged, and staffed entirely by an Australian and New Zealand crew, your experience aboard Coral Discoverer will be unique.
Tonnage: 1,838 grt Length: 64m Beam: 13m
Speed: 14 knots Passengers: 72 Crew: 25
To enquire call 1300 766 537 or complete the form below
Cape York & Arnhem Land
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Offer is not combinable with any other promotions, are capacity-controlled, subject to availability and may be withdrawn or changed at any time without notice. Valid for new bookings only. All fares are subject to the terms and conditions as set out by Cruise Express and its suppliers which may be obtained at the time of booking. Fares and inclusions may be amended or withdrawn at any time by Cruise Express and its suppliers. We strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance at the time of paying your deposit. Fares are listed in Australian dollars per person, twin occupancy and subject to availability. Deposit may be higher if including air travel as airfares may need to be paid in full at the time of reservation. Single supplements apply and are available on request.