The Great Southern Loop
Featuring heritage diesel and steam journeys
Explore with us aboard our latest heritage rail journey – a historic loop through two states aboard privately chartered heritage steam and diesel-hauled trains. This never-before-offered railway adventure will take you on a nostalgic escapade back to an era when travel was romantic and a little slower.
You’ll leave Sydney Terminal behind the newly restored diesel locomotive 42103, built in Granville in 1966. Settle back in comfortable seating and lounge cars where the windows open for a fresh breeze – allowing you a better connection with the ever changing countryside. After a short stop at Goulburn the mighty 5917 will take over to Junee. Fresh from a year-long overhaul, this Philadelphia built Baldwin-Mikado steam locomotive entered service in 1952. Sit back an enjoy the sight, sound and smell of travel as it used to be when steam ruled the rails.
After lunch in the delightful 134 year-old Junee Railway Cafe, we will continue by diesel to Albury for the night before we journey across the border to Melbourne aboard the iconic Spirit of Progress.
After a night in the Victorian capital we return to Southern Cross station where the giant blue steam locomotive R711 awaits. Built in Glasgow and entering service in 1952, this powerful locomotive will thunder back towards Seymour for breakfast before going cross-country to Echuca where we enjoy a delightful river cruise and lunch aboard a Murray paddle steamer.
You’ll then be a part of history when your train crosses the border from Echuca to Deniliquin – the first time steam has been there in over two decades!
In Griffith, you’ll enjoy private and exclusive experiences such as a wine tasting with the head wine-maker at De Bortoli and a truly spectacular lunch at Piccolo Family Farm – an experience you’ll never forget.
From here, you’ll travel along some lines that seldom or never see passenger traffic through countryside far from main or any roads all the way to Parkes and a visit to the ‘Dish’ – the movie-famous CSIRO Observatory Radio Telescope. The final leg of your adventure heads for Orange, Bathurst, Lithgow across the epic Blue Mountains for home.
Come with us and see classic Australian landscapes of the Southern Tablelands, Murray River and Goulburn Valley to the Riverina, Western Plains and Blue Mountains – best of all with the sound of a steam locomotive hauling your train through the countryside. You’ll be hosted by friendly and experienced Cruise Express tour managers the whole way, allowing you to relax with friends, old and new and soak in the scenery. Discover the simple joys of this epic heritage rail journey with us.
30 May 2019 - 6 days - from Sydney
- Daylight service from Sydney Terminal to Albury hauled by diesel locomotive 42103 and steam locomotive 5917 with heritage carriages
- Lunch at the Junee Railway Cafe
- 1-night accommodation at the ATURA Albury (or similar) with breakfast
- Daylight service from Albury to Melbourne Southern Cross Station aboard the Spirit of Progress (standard gauge)
- 1-night accommodation at the Vibe Savoy Hotel (or similar) with breakfast
- Daylight service from Melbourne to Echuca and Deniliquin hauled by steam locomotive R711 and diesel locomotive S313 with heritage carriages
- Lunch aboard the Murray River Paddle Steamers at Echuca
- Coach journey from Deniliquin to Griffith
- 2-nights accommodation in Griffith at a local motels
- Local touring in Griffith including wine tasting at De Bortoli Winery and an exclusive lunch at Piccolo Family Farm
- Daylight service from Griffith to Stockinbingal hauled by diesel locomotive 42103 and Stockinbingal to Parkes by steam locomotive 5917 with heritage carriages
- 1-night Parkes accommodation at a local motels with dinner and breakfast
- Afternoon tea at the CSIRO Observatory Parkes Radio Telescope
- Daylight service from Parkes to Sydney hauled by diesel locomotive 42103 and steam locomotive 5917 with heritage carriages
- Meals as per itinerary
- Coach transfers throughout
- Professional Cruise Express Tour Managers
There is a buffet or kiosk car available on all trains stocking a limited range of light refreshments, food, hot and cold beverages.
from: $3,440* pp twin share
from: $3,790* solo
Open seating or compartment type non-airconditioned sitting car. Seating may be fixed forward or rear facing. Carriages will differ according to service. Spirit of Progress features air-conditioned compartment type cars.
add: $300* pp twin share
add: $500* solo – SOLD OUT
Sydney to Albury / Griffith to Sydney – CAM502 non-airconditioned compartment sleeping / lounge car. Seats two with private wash basin. Toilet facilities are located at the end of the car. Carriages will differ according to service. Spirit of Progress features air-conditioned compartment type cars.
Call 1300 766 537 or complete the form below to enquire
The Great Southern Loop
This tour is subject to minimum group numbers being achieved. Please speak to your Travel Specialist for further information. This tour is NOT suitable for those confined to or require mobility equipment. Passengers must have a reasonable level of fitness including being able to negotiate stairs unaided. For full terms and conditions please click on the link above.