Why You Should Add Rail To Your Holiday Journey List
So Many Reasons to Explore the World By Rail The wise old adage about the journey being more important than the destination, couldn’t be more...Read more
Top 10 Reasons Women Love Cruising More than Men
Enjoy this fun but true compilation of why women love cruising! 1. No cooking. 2. No cleaning. 3. No grocery shopping to do - just shopping for...Read more
If getting away for Christmas sounds like a good idea then read on…
The festive season is a special time of the year that comes around in the blink of an eye. It’s a time we can’t avoid or put off, even though some years we might like to!
If the idea of getting ‘away’ appeals then cruising is a great option. Equally, cruising is ideal for bringing friends and family together at this time of year. Cruising during the festive season can be magical in so many ways!
We love it – here are some insights for you so you can work out if you would love it too…
- Ships are big enough that you can always retreat to your own space!
- No cooking or cleaning, full stop!
- It makes a great gift to give each other
- Santa, eggnog and carols by the poolside
- Lots of holiday entertainment and activities for the children including visits from Santa, craft-making, carolling and storytelling
- Due to their increasing popularity, we recommend booking upwards of a year in advance to be certain to get the cruise and cabins you want including family suites and interconnecting rooms (although closer to the day there are still options)
- Christmas and New Year can be expensive (so keep an eye out for great deals – we can help you with this)
- There are generally a lot of children on board Christmas cruises, so if you aren’t a fan… this may not be the best time to cruise for you!
- Small luxury ships tend to have more mature passengers and fewer children – your Cruise Express travel specialist will be the best person to consult with on this.
Other important considerations…
- While cheaper fares may become available closer to time, there may only be inside cabins available with your family scattered throughout the ship – it really depends on if this is an issue for you or not
- Look into the onboard activities to ensure they are right for everyone
- Most ships will have events at this time of the year, so don’t forget to pack special outfits for Christmas Eve/Day and New Year’s Eve
- It is a busy time of the year so we suggest you try to choose a departure port that doesn’t involve flights and if you do need to fly, ideally arrange to arrive a night early in case there are delays or cancellations
- Don’t forget the kids (and partner’s/parents) presents!
- If you really want to keep the spirit of Christmas alive in your cabin, you may want to consider bringing a fold-up Christmas tree, decorations and a special plate for the reindeer treats
- Be super kind to the staff on the ship who at this special time of year, are away from their much-loved and missed families.To find out your Christmas cruises options, contact one of our travel specialists on 1300 766 537 or email email@example.com.
So Many Reasons to Explore the World By Rail
The wise old adage about the journey being more important than the destination, couldn’t be more appropriate for railway journey holidays. While epic odysseys such as the Trans-Siberian Express, the Alaska Railway or The Scottish Highlands are trips of a lifetime for many, there are also many adventures to discover throughout Australia.
Cruise Express has begun introducing rail as an add on to many of our cruising holidays. Many of the rail itineraries are exclusively organised by Cruise Express so are not available elsewhere. Below are a few good reasons Rail Journey Holidays are becoming more popular:
Nostalgic Charm – Restored heritage trains are a wonderful travel alternative, taking you through spectacular landscapes, culture and history. With a touch of romance, rail journey holidays will transport you into a bygone era when rail was a common way to travel.
Exclusive Destinations – Cruise Express is taking iconic trains to destinations that are often untouched by heritage rail tourism. Travel in comfort through majestic alpine scenery, along panoramic coastal routes, or spectacular gorges. Remote destinations can have limited or no access by road or sea, leaving rail the best way to meander through some of the world’s most stunning landscapes.
Immersion – While air travel may be a great way to arrive at your destination faster, there is so much of the sensory experience missed, including stops along the way to really immerse yourself in a local experience. Sit back, relax and watch the scenery, culture and history unfold all around you.
Relaxing Holiday – Rail travel is affordable, comfortable and relaxing with no airport transfers, jet lag or traffic to worry about. You have the choice to mingle with other friendly passengers, sit back and relax, stretch your legs and walk around, eat, drink or sleep – the choice is yours.
Care-free Holidays – Rail journey escorted tours are a perfect balance of inclusions and freedom for singles, friends, couples or families. Organised local tours offer unique insider perspectives, yet we recommend getting off the beaten track to create your own priceless memories.
Keeping Couples Happy – Combining rail and cruise is a great combination for couples that don’t necessarily agree on the best way to travel – be adventurous and try both – you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Financially Friendly – Most of the holiday costs are covered in a rail or rail and sail holiday. All inclusions are clearly defined in your itinerary to make budgeting easier. Enjoy the comforts of a premium holiday for exceptional value, and let Cruise Express take care of the rest!
Quality Inclusions – Cruise Express tours are like no other, offering unique experiences including Platinum Class travel, exclusive food and wine tours, private dinners, concierge services, and ship vantage points on Sydney Harbour for one of the world’s most spectacular New Year’s Eve fireworks.
Remember, when the whistle sounds and the wheels turn, your adventures begin.
Enjoy this fun but true compilation of why women love cruising!
1. No cooking.
2. No cleaning.
3. No grocery shopping to do – just shopping for jewellery and perfume in the ship’s shops!
4. You get served by waiters, barmen, butlers and cabin stewards.
5. Bingo every day.
6. It’s totally relaxing, with non-stop pampering and nothing to do but have fun.
7. There are lots of cocktails to try and no-one bats an eyelid if you start sampling before noon!
8. There’s lots onboard the ship for the male partner to do on his own and for the woman to do by herself and lots to do together so everyone’s happy.
9. Your adult children can’t turn up with their kids for you to look after!
10. There’s a spa sanctuary onboard that you can use every day.
Your cruise ship leaves tomorrow, your suitcase is packed and you check your list…passport, tickets, money and credit cards, camera, phone and phone card, sunscreen, clothes and travel insurance?
You’d be shocked at how many Australians travel overseas without travel insurance but at Cruise Express we believe it’s just as important as your passport. Let’s be honest…no matter how prepared, organised or healthy you may be, sometimes things in life just don’t go to plan and that can include when you’re on holidays.
Of course, the vast majority of travellers enjoy incident-free vacations but just in case something goes wrong – you may get sick or have an accident, your flight or cruise could be cancelled or delayed or you could lose your luggage, passport or purse – it makes good sense to be prepared and cover yourself if your plans do come undone.
Over the years, Cruise Express has seen many clients benefit from travel insurance while on holidays. It’s important to note that you are not covered by Medicare overseas and if you don’t have travel insurance, you could face hefty bills. Travel insurance is also vital on shorter cruises close to home to destinations such as New Zealand or the South Pacific. ‘
Even if you cruise to ‘nowhere’ on a weekend cruise from Sydney or Perth or sail on a ship on a domestic leg from Sydney to Melbourne, you need travel insurance to cover the cost of international doctors aboard the ship as Medicare does not cover you onboard.
Some credit cards have built-in travel insurance but it’s wise to check the conditions first to ensure the coverage is adequate for your trip and any pre-existing health issues you have. The coverage credit cards offer can sometimes be basic and could leave you short so alternative travel insurance will be necessary. And these days, many of us travel overseas with expensive smartphones, laptops and other electronic and digital devices so you need to ensure these are also adequately protected in your travel insurance. The extended cover may be required for these valuable items.
Cruise Express supports the Government’s motto that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel. It’s that important. Of course, Cruise Express can organise travel insurance coverage for you. We can help organise the best policy for you, taking into account your age and pre-existing health conditions. In fact, we can help organise travel insurance that covers more than 3000 pre-existing health conditions. And if you book your travel insurance direct via our website – see the Cruise Tools tab (link) – you can enjoy a 10 percent discount.
We have compiled here a ‘Top 10’ list of tips for travel insurance which we hope helps you when deciding what coverage is best for you and your dream holiday.
Top 10 Travel Insurance Tips
1. Organise your travel insurance when you make the booking and pay a deposit on your trip to ensure you are protected right from the start in case plans change.
2. You should take out travel insurance on all cruises you do – long or short, overseas or around Australia, even weekend cruises to ‘nowhere’ as Medicare does not apply to medical centres onboard.
3. Read the conditions of your policy to ensure your coverage is adequate for the items (including expensive digital devices) and luggage you take with you and buy along the way and any pre-existing health conditions you may have.
4. Take photos and records of valuable items you will take on holiday, including your passport, and email them to a webmail address you can access if required. Also take the photos with you and keep them separate from the goods.
5. Report any stolen property to local police as soon as possible and obtain a police report to help with your insurance claim. The more paperwork you have, the easier it will be to make a claim.
6. Bring your insurance policy with you and also store copies of it on your phone, webmail or laptop.
7. If you need to make a claim, ring your insurer (be sure to carry the phone number with you) while you are still on holidays to see what action is required.
8. Check the Federal Government’s Smart Traveller website for helpful information on travel insurance.
9. Talk to a member of our Cruise Express team about travel insurance. We can help organise and book your travel insurance for you. And if you book your travel insurance direct via our website – you can enjoy a 10 per cent discount.
10. Enjoy your cruise, knowing you have travel insurance if you need it!
We’re here to help because we care about your holiday and we want to ensure you have the vital protection and invaluable peace of mind that travel insurance provides.
Call today on 1300 766 537 or visit our website to find out more!
Make the Most of Arrival Day to Ensure A Great Start to Your Holiday!
Here are some tips on what to do on embarkation day…
It’s the big day you’ve been looking forward to for so long – the day you board your cruise ship. We suggest you arrive early (Unless you’ve been given a specific time to board) to maximise your organisational time onboard before sailing. If you come too early you may find you’ve joined what can often be a long queue of early birds keen to get onboard first. Time your arrival at the terminal just after the boarding period starts so the line-up has mostly cleared.
- Unpack your belongings in the cabin as soon as your luggage arrives so you can feel settled as soon as possible. Check the TV channels in your stateroom so you can find relaxing music to play to put you in a cruising mood as soon as possible.
- Introduce yourself to your cabin steward and make any special requests you have.
- In your carry-on bag, pack a change of clothing and swimsuit so you can feel comfortable if it’s warm and take a dip in the ship’s pools and spas when they are crowd-free on embarkation day. You’ll feel like the cruise has already started!
- Enjoy lunch on board the ship – remember that the buffet can often be crowded on embarkation day, so see if the ship’s other restaurants are open. If lunching at the buffet, take your meal outdoors to the pool areas where there is often more room.
- Take a walk around the ship to get your bearings and check on opening and closing times for the gym, pools, kids clubs and shops etc.
- Check out the ship’s schedule of events left in your cabin so you can see what’s on today and familiarise yourself with the layout of the daily bulletin.
- Book gym classes, spa sanctuary sessions and any adult/premium deck areas for the cruise to ensure you secure your spots early. Shore tours can book out very quickly so if you haven’t done so already get onto that today.
- The purser’s desk on boarding day can be very busy – leave any inquiries until the next day if you can or use the phone in your cabin to contact reception.
- Bring a calculator and work out if the onboard drink packages are good value for you.
- See the maitre d’ at the designated times he or she is available as advertised in the ship’s newsletter if you wish to change your allocated dining times.
- The lifts can be very busy on embarkation day as luggage is loaded and passenger explore the ship so take the stairs if you can.
- Take time to stroll onto the open decks to enjoy the excitement of sail away time as your ship officially begins your dream voyage.
We’re here to chat about these suggestions and so much more to make your cruise a holiday of a lifetime. Call us 1300 766 537 or visit our website.